Wednesday, December 1, 2010

JOY frame

Hello and Happy, happy December! The Magnolia-licious team has our monthly project challenge for you as well as some inspiration which may help you get started! You can find all this on the Magnolia-lcious Highlites Blog
If you hang around just a few minutes I'll show you a little of my process as I approached this "new to me" project!

Here's the finished frame! Sorry that I couldn't get a good photo.
I decided on a short word-JOY-first. I bought a 5x7" picture frame at Kohl's. Then I cut 2 sizes of letters from construction paper at school (from the Ellison machine). I had NO IDEA what kind of layout I would be using!
Next I chose a couple of stamps from the Merry Christmas 2010 collection. I TRIED to arrange my letters and the stamps to work in the frame. No luck! I just couldn't get any balance to my design. It had to be one stamp centered. I hope everyone can tell the word is JOY!
The photo above is the paper that comes in frame and it gave me the idea to do a border.
I decided that the outside would be one inch strips and measured all accordingly. I knew where to place them because I had take the glass out of the frame and traced the size the piece needed to be on Kraft card stock.
Once the pieces were laid on I KNEW I had to sew them in place and would have a patchwork quilt!

Here is my colored image (beautiful Tilda with hanging star- #3083). she is place with the trial construction paper letters.
I finally cut the letters from banana card stock, stamped them in banana ink with the linen background stamp from SU and did fake stitching on them. No way could I stitch them for real!




And a finished close up so you can see that she does have some sparkle!
If you got through all this, Thanks!
Have a great day!
Cheryl




17 comments:

Glenda said...

This is amazingly beautiful! So classy looking. What a wonderful piece to display for the Holiday!

charlene said...

This is just adorable I love how everything is out of bounds if your would....great job !

Nancy Parker said...

Hi Cheryl, This is beautiful! I was just thinking I had to do something with my picture frames & this is perfect. Thanks, Nancy

Riet said...

So gorgeous Cheryl,I love the image and the colours.

Hugs Riet.x

Norma said...

Cheryl, it’s a beaut!. Fabby colouration and love the quilted look of your project. And just the one adorable Tilda centered works for me. Love your framed piece.

Hugs,
Norma

Glenda Mollet said...

Wow, so cute. I love it. You may have inspired me to create one too.
Thanks!

Candy said...

Cheryl,
Your picture is really striking and I love it to peaces!! Making your beautifully coloured Tilda the letter 'O' in Joy is such a fantastic idea!
You always do such fabulous work :o)
Hugs, Candy

Patti Jo said...

Cheryl this is just sooo cute! Love how you used Tilda for the O in Joy! The stitching both real and faux adds the perfect touch to the quilted look! Adorable!!!

Anonymous said...

This is adorable, and that's a great tutorial. Hugs, Rea

Barb said...

One of my favorite Tilda images, love your latest creation!!

Barb in Texas

Suzanne J Dean said...

Beautiful Cheryl--I love the homespun stitched with love feel this has to it! Just gorgeous for the holidays!

hugz,
Suzanne

Sandy said...

Well you came up with a fabulous idea and anyone would love to have this hanging in their home Cheryl.
Sandy

Pam said...

Cheryl...love your creation. I'll have to try and make one of these. TFS
Hugs,
Pam:)

Sharon Caudle said...

Cheryl, I think this frame is totally stunning! I love her used as the "o" in JOY, and your coloring is always magnificent! Your quilting adds so much to it as well! Love the faux stitching!! Fabulous project!!!!
hugs, Sharon

Diana Crick said...

Cheryl, What a perfect "O" Tilda makes, beautifully coloured!!! I love how you made the letters also "quilted" so it ties everything together...FABULOUS!!!
hugs, Diana

Barb Hardeman said...

Absolutely fabulous Cheryl! I love how you made the background a patch work quilt - brilliant! That little Tilda is so perfect for the "o" on your JOY! A fantastic project!
Hugs,
Barb

Nancy Jensen said...

I LOVE this! I might have to case it. It's wonderful. You see... my daughter recently passed away. She loved the Tilda stamps and I would stamp them for her to color. She was medically fragile her whole life, going through many heart surgeries and other procedures, etc. The Tilda angels came out shortly after Jessica died so I purchased them with her in mind. Jessica brought so much joy to my life and was an angel here on earth - so I might make one of these projects but in PINK and yellow - her favorite colors.

Thanks again for this wonderful idea!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin